This panel will consider the figure of Porcia in the Renaissance, where she is to be found in a wide range of cultures and genres. From the earliest accounts, Porcia has been something of a a paradox: heroic and vulnerable; the masculine soul who is also the devoted wife. No woman in history can have passed into legend more closely defined by her menfolk; let’s give her some room of her own. Topics might include, but are certainly not limited to:
- National traditions (eg. Spanish lyrical Porcias; French tragic Porcias)
- Exemplary Porcias
- Porcia in the visual arts
- Female suicide: strength or weakness?
- Gender transgression
- Classical traditions and subversions
- Shakespeare, sources and successors
Please send proposals (max. 150 words) to Julia Griffin [email@example.com
] by 1st June 2016.